This project was the main topic of my Master's thesis (full text, A4 poster). The simulator is based on the Dissertation of Rui Pedro Duarte [Dua16] which describes a possible way of simulating cloud motion using meterological diagrams called SkewT/LogP. In my thesis, I extend Duarte's simulator by using the Lattice Boltzmann method for wind simulation and I parallelize both methods on the GPU using CUDA technology. Furthermore, to test the results of the simulator, cloud visualization based on Simon Green's paper [Gre08] was also implemented and extended with phase functions to simulate more realistic light scattering.
- [Dua16] Rui Pedro Monteiro Amaro Duarte. Realistic Simulation and Animation of Clouds using SkewT/LogP Diagrams. PhD thesis, Universidade da Beira Interior, 2016.
- [Gre08] Simon Green. Volumetric particle shadows. NVIDIA Developer Zone, 2008.
Downloads and Links
- Thesis text (English)
- A4 poster
- Binaries for Windows (Requires OpenGL 4.6 and NVIDIA CUDA enabled GPU - tested on Pascal architecture with compute capability 6.1)
- Visual Studio 2015 solution
- User Manual
- GitHub Project
- Certificate of nomination for the best IT thesis in the Czech Republic and Slovakia
Programming Languages and Libraries